Meet SR:D’s 2014 winner of the New Talent Award, menswear designer KellyDAWNRIOT.
We’re so excited to announce Kelly as this years New Talent Awardee – get to know her work below with images from her collection, as well as her inspiration.
Recently graduated from the celebrated Glasgow School of Art, Kelly is currently residing in the city. Using watercolours, pen and ink, Kelly’s collection takes inspiration from naturalist illustrators such as Swainson and Haeckel. Her hand painted designs are digitally printed onto silhouettes influenced by that of the Blitz Kids in the late 1970’s, with high waisted tapered leg trousers, oversized shirts and overcoats.
Kelly said of winning the award
Receiving the New Talent Award is both an honour and an incredible opportunity for an emerging designer like myself. Working alongside Zero Waste Scotland’s Love Your Clothes Campaign and Scotland Re:Designed is a fantastic opportunity for designers to make their mark within the fashion industry with both an economic and conscious footprint. I look forward to collaborating with both and I feel excited at what the future may hold.
This year partner of the award, Zero Waste Scotland‘s Love Your Clothes Campaign will grant Kelly an award, which includes funding, professional mentoring, and travel opportunities. Zero Waste Scotland helps Scotland to become more efficient in its use of resources. The Love Your Clothes campaign aims to help reduce the impact that clothes have on the environment through a call to buy clothes to last, look after them, upcycle old items and recycle or pass on what you no longer want to keep.
Kelly will be awarded:
- Up to £1000 for support with materials, development and hiring of specialist equipment
- Two return trips to London to work with a mentor, including travel and accommodation
- Professional mentoring from international up-cycling expert Orsola De Castro
- Automatic place at the ZWS Textiles Chiasma 18-20th March 2015
- Up to 10 kilos of Post-consumer materials sponsored by A1 Textiles
- PR and broadcast media profiles
- Feature alongside the 12 Main Exhibitors at SR:D 2014 on the 20th of November in the static exhibition space to an audience of industry professionals, buyers, press, consumers and special VIP guests
- Access to the workshops and talks throughout the SR:D 2014 calendar
Come down to SWG3 to see Kelly’s collection for yourself, and trust us – it’s amazing!!!